Thread: Code 60 for UK
View Single Post
Old 17 Dec 2015, 07:58 (Ref:3598306)   #24
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a measure to ensure all of us (marshals and drivers) get to have a fun, enjoyable and SAFE racing environment?

I am a big supporter of this proposal.

For me, a safety car brings very little improvement for me going to work trackside. The pack is NEVER bunched up in one line, there are always stragglers, hareing round to catch the pack. Unless I have a scanner and an on the ball race control (who is solely looking out for and advising me of stragglers) its no different to working without the safety car (IMHO).

A code 60 will neutralise the race almost instantly (why don't we have an exercise at an early race meeting next year, to see how long it ACTUALLY takes for a code 60 displayed at startline to propogate to every flag station). Its a random chance of who sees the flag first and maybe gets a _SLIGHT_ advantage/disadvantage. I can be out, job done, back on post, and allow flags to be lifted WAY sooner than S/C.

We all rely on radios far too much these days - a flaggie with a decent set of mark 1 eyeballs should be able to pick up the flag deployment/withdrawl without need for radio call. A radio call _MIGHT_ speed things up slightly, and help out a lone flaggy, but its not a requirement in my eyes.

I also don't believe it is beyond the wit of man for drivers to work out their code 60 speed (heck, NASCAR drivers can do ot, so it can't be too hard) either with speedo, gear/rpm values, etc.

Bring it on!