View Single Post
Old 1 Oct 2007, 15:12 (Ref:2027982)   #20
Séamas M.
Racer

Northern Ireland
Lurgan,County Armagh
Séamas M. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going to respectfully disagree. Back in the good old days when I competed at Kirkistown we had some races nominated as the Crosslé Challenge, which essentially were a local Formula E series, with a one off drive in a works car at the end of the season as the main prize, and vouchers for spares and other parts from Crosslé for the lesser prizes.

During one of the latter years that this series ran Tommy Reid and Joe Greenan declared their intention to take part, but were blocked by the 500 Club because they wanted to encourage "novices" or low cost racers. Personally I was annoyed by this as I would have looked forward to seeing how much these guys would have beaten me by using cars similar to my own rather than the state of the art machinery they might otherwise have driven. One of the attractions of the Festival at Brands was getting on to the same grid as the current F1 wannabe hotshoes and getting guys like David Leslie and Joey Foster (to name but two) into the WHT only adds to the event in my opinion.