View Single Post
Old 7 May 2015, 23:25 (Ref:3535300)   #175
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Just think about it, if they can bother and afford making considerable changes to La Sarthe every year, and in the last few years only increasing the amount of euros going into track and trackside changes, do we really think they couldn't do the same with lighting levels? No-one needed asphalt shoulders to Mulsanne and rundown to Curves either, but hey they are there now anyway. I could even see some ACO/FIA representative at some point citing that more visibility equals superior safety or some shiz.

Utilizing the night-for-day F1 nonsense at Bahrain is one thing, but the overly bright floodlight posts at CotA weren't designed for F1, or for that matter any other series since no one else have utilized them. Meaning that they were put in place specifically for WEC. And since it is highly unlikely that the initiative came solely from circuit's side alone (who would invest in such a thing after lackluster reception of previous years event), the ACO/FIA surely wanted them there. And if they can put them around 5,5 kilometrer tilkedrome that has far lesser importance than Le Mans, they sure can for 13km track - of which is mostly lit already, albeit with considerably weaker lights and lesser amount of posts. But the groundwork is there already. The remaining bits can be worked around with Le Mans city council.

Also, "never" is a long time. If one looks back 15 years ago - you know beginning of the century - and general circuit designs, no-one would have predicted how immense change there was to be in the landscape.

Anyway, of course I wish it doesn't happen, but just as I predict all of the remaining grass/gravel runoff areas to be replaced by asphalt in less than 10 years time frame, I am rather certain of floodlights appearing as well. Because of how things are evolving right now in this sport.

Well at least it's gonna be good for now, and with full TV coverage.

Thought we already had such a thing...
It seems almost idiotic for me to debate a matter I think will never happen.
The main point is that the majority of Circuit de La Sarthe is on public owned highway with privately owned property right next to it.
Flooding the track with lights would need a lot of permanent light towers set up on these private owned parts. This would be expensive to buy, and would not be well taken by the neighbours and the local government.
This is all unique to Circuit de La Sarthe and not comparable with other tracks in the world.