View Single Post
Old 21 Apr 2010, 14:52 (Ref:2677353)   #691
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
If you had a run, and didn't stick your nose in, you either backed out of the throttle just a smidge, or did what the Toyota runners used to have to do, and pulled to the high line, which put an end to your added momentum in a lot of cases. If you got in there, and had to make a correction in the wake, you lifted out of the throttle at least a little while making that correction. As I said, my statement was dependent on the stipulation that the cars were holding the throttle wide open in the corners.

The drivers don't have to say that they backed out of the throttle when making a correction or backing out of a possible overtaking maneuver; it can be heard watching the onboard footage during the race broadcasts, and plain to be seen when watching the races. If you're on a very similar line to the car in front of you, and suddenly, you lose ground without a radical change in course, you backed off the throttle. It didn't have to be by much, because at those speeds, and with everyone having the same engine, you notice when one guy keeps it flat, and the one behind does not.

In fact, I brought up the issue of doing stubby, superspeedway wings on the Swift with Mark Page, with the aim of cutting downforce, so the cars weren't running flat-out in the corners, so that decisive passes were more possible, and he concurred that some sort of wing package could be done and seconded with my thoughts on the matter. He did not subsequently bring up the wake turbulence as being the issue on ovals. From his comments, he was more concerned about the aero wash on the road courses with an abundance of high-speed corners.

What I'm saying is, wake turbulence is an issue if the drivers are having to back off in the corners because of it. If they are still perfectly able to keep flat-out in the turns in someone's wake, then the turbulence isn't the core of the overtaking difficulty in that particular case.

Last edited by Purist; 21 Apr 2010 at 14:58.