View Single Post
Old 12 Nov 2013, 05:31 (Ref:3330258)   #25
TheNotSoHidden
Rookie

TheNotSoHidden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Luiggi!

Also...exams sure take up one's time,don't they? Anyway,with my exams out of the way for now,I can unleash my latest experiment!

This one is based off a real-life event: Forumla E. The new all-electric racing series are hosting every single one of its races on temporary and street circuits. Funny thing is,they have already announced their destinations for their inaugural season,yet there are no plans on the layout of the circuits,save for Monaco,obviously. Locations have already been decided for the rounds in London,Hong Kong and Berlin as far as I know,yet the circuits themselves for those rounds and other races have yet to even get a rough layout identified.

This is where I step in. My next batch of tracks will focus on how each track in each destination of Formula E should be laid out,to help track designers overcome their challenges of having to produce nine temporary circuits. And I start the challenge here:

This is the Formula E Round of Berlin. As mentioned previously,the place for the track was already decided,that being the empty apron of Templehof Airport by the old terminal. However,as no track layout was announced,I guessed I would take the initiative.

The 2.61 mile,counter-clockwise track begins with a right-left "extended chicane",as I like to call it. A short blast leads into another similar chicane,turns 3 and 4,though this time left-right. Turn 5 is a slow,long left hairpin that ends sector 1 and leads cars onto the backstraight.

Turn 6 is the showpiece of the circuit,a fast right sweeper that drivers need to control into braking into the tight left,turn 7.This leads into a tight sequence,8 and 9,before opening up into a straight of decent length.Turn 10 is an increasing radius turn that presents an opportunity to pass,before the double-apex turns 11 and 12 curve right to form a little "arena" section. This leads into the final corner sequence,a right flick into a slow,long left that slingshots cars onto the pit straight.

Comments,criticisms and revisions are welcome.