View Single Post
Old 1 Sep 2020, 14:31 (Ref:3999454)   #2422
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
DanRic is certainly the king of the late breakers (although we saw Albon with a fantastic late break so maybe the RB car has something to do with it?) but is that the same as overtaking skill?

arguably though, the late breaking is best used at the end of long straights into sharp slow corners...so basically the main feature of the tilke dromes and/or the ability to get close enough to late brake was made possible by DRS.

but overall i do agree, in order to see more overtaking we need more variables...faster cars out of order, tire changes and refueling, reduction in pit to car or pit to data centre communications, a greater variety of track layouts, and of course DRS.

but then again the effectiveness of any of these variables in combination may not yield the intended results so more experimentation is needed to sort out what works and what doesnt.

but certainly the only other way to see more overtakes, especially those that are purely down to driver skill, would be to make all the cars the same and then that wouldnt be F1.

short of an entirely new aero formula, if we want teams to build bespoke cars then 'artificial' mechanisms will be needed to upset the reality of lining up the cars from fastest to slowest imo.