View Single Post
Old 19 Apr 2017, 13:28 (Ref:3727755)   #78
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I think the accident was more Sainz' fault than Stroll's, but IMO Stroll could have done more to avoid it.

Once commited to the (ill-judged) move, there was little Sainz could do.
Stroll obviously didn't even know Sainz was there.

I agree a bit with the commentators that Williams could and should have told Stroll that Sainz was there.
He could have blocked the inside to prevent the move, or could have been made an effort to avoid the accident.
Now, he rather left a lot of space at the inside.

Still Sainz' mistake, but I think Stroll could and would have avoided it if only he knew Sainz was there.
I believe this was 100% the fault of Sainz if I we are to assign blame. There was zero chance his attempt was going to work. The argument about there should be a cars width is bogus. In this scenario it is like saying the leading car should always leave a gap for you at the apex so you can dive bomb a corner any time you want. Even if there was a cars width at the apex, I suspect Sainz still would have speared Stroll in the side given his speed and direction of travel. Where would Sainz have tracked out after the apex if Stroll hadn't even been there?

I tend to agree that maybe if Stroll was more aware (and maybe he was?) that Sainz was exiting the pit (or better yet was psychic and know what was going to happen in advance) that "maybe" Stroll could have done something to avoid the ill advised attempt by Sainz and yet retain his position. My opinion is that Stroll did nothing wrong given what he knew going into that corner. You can't drive defensively and timidly all the time assuming the guy behind you is going to do something crazy and take you out.

Richard