View Single Post
Old 5 Nov 2017, 09:27 (Ref:3778766)   #5213
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I think that the ACO will edge towards LMP1 being more like DPI. They'll probably drop the requirement that factory teams have to run hybrids or alternative fuels. They might even for all we know right now ditch fuel flow in favor of air restrictors for BOP and limiting speeds.

In a way, it does make sense as DPI is growing, but not every car maker will want to race in a top class where you have to choose between four chassis manufacturers and run primarily stock block engines. Great idea and I'd like to see it, but it shouldn't be the only solution. Just like how having to run hybrids/alternative fuels and their associated R&D costs shouldn't be the exclusive solution.

I think that LMP1 should be the cost effective alternative to F1 or even something like NASCAR, not what it has become, where even TMG are spending almost F1 sized budgets (and yes, even if it's a quarter of what they spent on F1, TMG's near 100 million USD budget is big enough for an upstart minnow F1 team) on something with no where near the exposure of F1 or NASCAR on a world scale aside from the LM24.

VAG and TMG are to blame for the big factory budgets as much as anyone or anything (outside of technical requirements and being able to exploit them, no one out and out said they had to spend as much as they did), just as the ACO is for gerrymandering an agenda that appealed only to them and locked out others from even wanting to look in.