View Single Post
Old 31 Jul 2017, 15:12 (Ref:3756440)   #64
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobec View Post
Then you might as well instruct Bottas to let Lewis through every time. Or even sandbag during qualifying. Why not? Let's forget about the racing, leave it aside, and concentrate on winning the title. Maybe some would love that, but I think real fans would start taking F1 less seriously.

Lewis initially had 5 laps to try and move up, after which he was to give back the position, which belonged to Bottas. That was the agreement. He kept the position much longer, almost until the end, and gave it back right at the last moment.

Giving back the position was the right decision, and I was very glad to see some fair play, in contrast to what I've previously seen at Mercedes, and at Ferrari, especially during the Schumacher years.

At the same time, I think the team may have instructed Lewis not to give back the position. First, he stayed ahead almost until the end, and not for 5 laps. And second, there is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AurfDcOHQQA .
I agree it's great to see some fair play in F1 and it's pleasant contrast to what's gone on before. However, my comment is purely an observation based on the numerous times I've seen in sport, where someone or a team, misses out on a couple of points because of a decision, right or wrong and not having those points has made the difference to winning or losing.