Thread: HSCC DONINGTON
View Single Post
Old 13 Apr 2017, 22:43 (Ref:3726232)   #30
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flagman View Post
Re Derek Bell Trophy

A reminder to all that no overtaking is allowed when yellow flags are displayed especially when under Safety Car Conditions. Two competitors, one the Race Leader, overtook the Safety Car - Probably in error as they were allowing back markers past to collect the leader. Leader should know that is what they were doing. So, lets fly past the Safety Car, run round at high speed to catch up the pack. Probably realising the error the two leading cars then overtook the entire train to reposition behind the Safety Car. All under waved yellow flags.

Message is clear - overtake under yellow flags you will visit the Clerks and be penalised. End of Lesson.
Last year I was running well down the field and about to lap a couple of back markers when the SC came out. The back markers were waved through and (I thought) so was I. What I didn't know was that the rest of the field had pitted to change drivers and that I was suddenly race leader. Because the tail ender was very slow the SC driver (not the observer) gestured for him to speed up which I took to be my signal to overtake. Seemed only logical as I had no idea of my elevated postion!

I still knew none of this when I was summoned upstairs but we worked it out between us and it fitted with what they'd seen happen but couldn't understand.