Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blair's best tow car bible:
Golden rules:
Long wheel base
Short rear overhang
High tow ball, get a custom made gooseneck because they cost begger all and it will shorten your stopping distance by half. This is the main reason old school 4WD's are so good at towing.

Get this right and you will be able to tow a 2000 kg rig with a 1000 kg car and be safer than someonr with a 2000 kg car and a 1000 kg trailer! (We will not mention any legal ramifications at this stage...)

If you don't have those basics right you need compensation, such as load leveling/air rear suspension.
Nice things:
4WD or RWD are prefered (FWD is OK if the above ratio is OK, otherwise you need RWD or 4WD)
Solid/live rear axles are the best for towing, but harder to live with every day.
Minimum 120 bhp/ton in Petrol, 70+ bhp/ton diesel (car only)

Sorry but a CRV just doesn't cut it as a tow car, you would be better off buying a 5 Series touring, even if it was 20 years old. 2nd gen Disco's are ordinary as well, but at least thay have self leveling rear, problem is when you continuely tow and the self levelers wear out (which happens too qucikly IMO) they start to be handicaped by their short wheelbase to long overhang. In the light 4WD lifestyle vehicles, the X trail is probably the best.
design