View Single Post
Old 13 Jan 2018, 15:47 (Ref:3792486)   #5367
Irie
Racer

Irie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
As I've mentioned and one or two others have mentioned, since the EOT and performance balancing is based off of what Toyota (only current extant factory team) and Kolles (then the only existent private team in LMP1) did last year, I'd argue that there's not much incentive for Toyota to do any serious R&D work beyond making their car more user friendly or easier to drive.

EOT right now is being based off of last season's figures as the ACO were able to collect them. Which probably means though Le Mans since Kolles didn't run beyond Nurburgring last year. With that said, it's easy to assume that privateer data is limited due to only one car doing only a partial season last year.

Thing also is that I doubt that Toyota are going to be able to milk enough efficiency gains to make up for any significant portion of losing 20% of their fuel tankage. Even if they make up 5%, they're still out about 15% on range, which means still probably 2 laps short around Le Mans compared to this year.

And then we have hybrid power vs engine power. Combined, Toyota might have between 1000-1100 bhp between engine and hybrid. But we have to remember that nearly half of that is hybrid, and such power is temporary. The LMP1 privateers are supposed to have at least 700bhp. It'll be acceleration vs top speed, especially since the LMP1 privateers are also supposed to be a good bit lighter.
I've read this statement multiple times and don't quite understand it but maybe i'm a bit thick? Assuming the EOT is perfect and based on 2017 that would make '17 Toyota and 17' Kolles equal. So it would be even a greater incentive for Toyota to develop the car for 2018 than without EOT where their 2017 performance is certainly impossible to reach for privateers. Can someone explain this to me?