View Single Post
Old 8 Oct 2017, 11:44 (Ref:3772991)   #11
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Not sure what the neighbours thought of the track displays but big grins from the spectators.
I think 'big noise' sums the Star Cars parades......

It's quite a few years since I raced at Combe. Apart from the 'Rise' not being as prominent as before, very little seems to have changed! As last visit, so many very well informed spectators to chat to, which seems very much a Combe 'thing'. Never met someone before that raced against a Morgan SLR in period (in his +4SS), and saw the red car catch fire at Silverstone! Another gent worked with Chris Lawrence, and is still in regular contact with John Sprinzel (SLR= Sprinzel Lawrencetune Racing....), but had never seen any of the three in the flesh before.

As for the GTSCC race, despite not having covered the minimum amount of qualifying laps due to electrical problems, we were allowed to start at the back of the grid. Big thank you to the CoC! Well aware of the risks of Combe, I started very carefully and overtook a few cars before pitting to hand over to Simon. He then had a clean run and moved us up a few more places. As we were treating the race as a test session after 2 major engine rebuilds, the result didn't matter- we were just happy that the car performed perfectly in the race and is healthy for the trip to Portugal.....

Good to meet Mr & Mrs Cheddaris, and embarrassed that they remembered me racing Gilbert Gilbern at the circuit back in 2007 or 2008! Also nice to catch up with Delta's No1 mechanic, Martin, hard at work looking after 500s and Juniors while the Boss was sitting in a bar with a beer at Zandvoort......