View Single Post
Old 10 Jan 2017, 10:10 (Ref:3701554)   #6
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Strange lack of publicity about the show this year. Usually the Autosport website has lots of pieces about who or what is going to be there but very little this year. I don't buy the hard copy every week anymore but got the F1 review on December 8th and no mention in there at all.

Have they lost interest in the event?
I have seen lots of information/publicity about Autosport International this year, however with the purchase of Haymarket motorsport section by Motorsport Network we will have to wait and see if the show remains in Birmingham in the future.

The show has evolved a lot over the years, and will continue to evolve but I think Motorsport Network will take a couple of years to understand what they have acquired, and how that fits in with their vision of the future.

Motorsport Network do seem to be cash rich at the moment having bought a stake in Formula E, where this spending will end, who knows?.

I can see some rationalisation of resources, they are running 2 weekly motorsport print publications at a time when print media is in steep decline. I can see this situation changing in 2017.

As for online coverage, they have 2 sites that are largely duplicating stories. It is telling that Autosport.com is now starting to mention news originally reported on Motorsport.com, almost pointing its readers to Motorsport.com. Can this situation continue?, only time will tell.

I have bought only 3 hard copies of Autosport and Motorsport News this year, I kind of lost interest in Autosport when they changed the layout, leading with the main feature and relegating news to page no. 20 or so, and when they started covering motorbikes. I have also not renewed my online subscription to autosport.com and cannot see myself ever renewing it.

It will be interesting when attending the show this week to see what presence Motorsport Network has regards branding etc.