View Single Post
Old 8 Jan 2018, 19:36 (Ref:3791427)   #140
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCherry View Post
As a man who in his own industry is trying to do as much as possible to reduce gender imbalance and discrimination, grid girls and the like make me sad. It's such a ridiculous thing to still have, and I don't think a lot of people realise quite how much so.

It is literally replacing furniture with women because they're prettier. It doesn't need a human to hold up a sign, I could design you a perfectly reasonable stand. The only reason it is a woman is because of how it looks, and at that point you've reduced a woman to an object for someone else's enjoyment. That's basically the definition of objectification.

Nobody here (as far as I know) is arguing that women shouldn't be allowed to wear whatever they want, as revealing as they like, etc. but this isn't that. This is women being dressed up and used as scenery, and the fact that some are paid well for it and presumably all do it voluntarily doesn't change the fact that what is happening is women as decoration.

Incidentally, the whole "promo girl" at trade shows etc. is going the same way. There have been boycotts and protests in my world over it, and rightly so - you demean women, you demean your intended audience, and you make the world a less welcoming place for majority of the people in it. Get rid.
There will always be "gender imbalance" because both genders are not the same and never have been and never will be. So no I will not be doing any phony virtue signaling "fighting for gender imbalance".

It's interesting you say you don't care what women wear or what job they have, but yet you do. I have known many, many "grid girls" or "promo girls" and all seem to enjoy their job and the attention it brings and I also have seen where it has allowed them to make connections in the industry and secure a regular job.

So I say if sponsors or series want grid girls and there are women who want those jobs(and clearly many do), leave them alone and stop trying to impose tyranny on others by shaming and phony virtue signaling.