View Single Post
Old 14 Feb 2006, 15:50 (Ref:1689562)   #20
dereklola
Racer

dereklola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralt Fuel Cell Boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter McKinley
Info originally posted by dereklola indicates that Mel Lahner purchased RT2-152 or the Toleman RT2-1 which went to south africa where i presume it is the tub that was stripped and copied as indicated by IAN HEBBLEWHITE. If it was copied ,since the fuel cell is larger in the RT2 tubs does this imply that the Lants made in SA are RT2 tub copies. The fuel cell in my Lant has a full height wall from the floor of the tub to the top plate of the tub which has the roll hoop mounted on it. It is different to any RT4 cars i have seen which have a much smaller fuel cell perhaps only half the height of the Lant cell.
Front and rear suspension is by rocker arm
Peter - sorry to be so late coming to the party. Here's my version of Ralt tubs in the fuel cell area based on my 1979 RT2, 1980 RT4 and looking at several other RT2s, RT4s and RT5s.

You are correct that the RT2 has a longer fuel cell box than the RT4 - maybe 4" or so [I keep measuring it but never filing the info]. I don't have actual measurements but the RT2 cell probably held 16-18 gallons and the RT4 maybe 11-12. Otherwise the RT2 and early RT4 tubs are the same - the fuel box front, also the seat back, was a flat sheet from the floor to the top where the roll hoop mounts althought the front mount was a thick 'bracket' added in front of this straight, flat sheet. Later RT4s had the top front area vertical, dispensing with that thick bracket and increasing the gallonage slightly.

All RT2 and RT4s had the 'high' fuel cell box described above. All RT5s, and I presume the European RT3s, that I've seen had a 'low' box finishing at the tub sidewall height. I've never seen a 'low' one on an RT4.

Hope that helps. Derek