View Single Post
Old 26 Jun 2019, 17:12 (Ref:3914311)   #19
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For me it would have to be 1985.....why?

Well,that year the turbocharged F1 cars were at their ultimate,totally bonkers best.Free of any artificial power restrictions, those things could run with over 1100bhp in qualifying and use ultra sticky Q tires. I witnessed Keke Rosberg hurtle around an unadulterated Silverstone GP circuit at an average speed of 160mph + .......not just once, but twice.It is still the most incredible spectacle I have ever seen at any race track, before or since.

Also, over a 16 race season their were 8 different winning drivers.How's this for a roll call of F1 icon's....Prost, Senna, DeAngelis, Rosberg, Mansell, Alboreto, Piquet, Lauda....that's 6 World Champions alone. Take a look at the rest of the grid because the depth of talent was unequalled.....Laffite, Patrese, Arnoux, Tambay,Warwick,Bellof, Berger, Boutsen,.....the list goes on.

Today's excuse for F1 doesn't even get close....and the circuits were a whole lot more interesting too!