Old 28 Sep 2017, 21:41 (Ref:3770398)   #1533
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
N4, though I like Brands Hatch Indy very much, when you then look at the GP Loop, it's a bit like comparing the Short Course at Watkins Glen to the GP Circuit there.

It's quite busy, even with just 18 Champ Cars out there (Vasser was out practically from the start), and those cars weren't as quick as any F1 cars that ran then or since. The higher speed of F1 would effectively make things even busier, especially when it comes to the probability of a coming together at that rather abrupt pit-out. Having the extra space of the 2.623-mile GP Circuit over the 1.226-mile Indy Circuit can be useful for a variety of reasons.

Also, it just doesn't feel like the Indy Circuit offers a place for the "bigger" cars to be able to "stretch their legs" properly. Beyond that, utilizing the GP Loop helps provide for some better overtaking opportunities with the full track layout; the taller gearing needed for the longer course limits the physical spreading between the cars coming off the slow(er) corners, and thus further reduces the need for desperate dive-bombs in order to make moves stick.

And while I'd kind of like to see F1 at Brands again, I think a circuit like Donington might well be a better fit, whereas the WEC could put on a heck of a race at Brands GP. (As much as anything, I'm just tired of EVERYTHING running at Silverstone, and as that's going on, I get to see NONE of the other excellent circuits in the UK. It's bloody frustrating sometimes; I'm just damn glad that the de facto FIA GT runs Brands Hatch GP and WSBK runs Donington Park GP.)

Now back to your newly-scheduled Danish GP?
Hi Purist,
I agree entirely about the pits at Brands. In my humble they are in entirely the wrong place. If I was God, I would smite them and build a wonderful modern complex 200 yards south east on the other side of the Cooper straight, with pit in after Druids and exit at Surtees. That way you could have a decent pit lane and fans could then see the whole track from any vantage point.
Personally, I love short tracks, the NASCAR night race on the 1/2 mile banked oval at Bristol, Tennessee is absolutely the highlight of my year. 40 800 hp stock cars laying down 15 second laps is my idea of heaven. The last car is already half a lap down when the flag drops. I have fallen asleep in 90% of the F1 GP's this year.
I agree entirely about Silverstone. I have met several people who have been put off motor racing for life because their only experience of it is an outrageously expensive seat at the British GP. Our other tracks cannot meet F1's prima donna pit and paddock standards, and would go broke if they tried.