View Single Post
Old 5 Jun 2006, 20:01 (Ref:1627881)   #2
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hi Ed,

A 6-point harness has the straps under the crutch to stop you "submarining" out under the waist strap in an accident and gives you the most protection. A 5-point is supposed to do the same thing, but how it does that without cutting your wotnots off is beyond me, I suppose you have to decide whether you dress to the left or the right. I haven't worked it out, so would prefer to discard that option.

Before you rush out & buy the harness though, check what seat you're using it with. I planned to fit a 6-point in my MG but the seat didn't have a hole through the base, so I went back to 4-point. You're allowed to cut a hole in the seat but I just know that with my fabrication skills, the fabric would have chafed away and left me sitting on webbing before long.......

Whichever belt you buy, make sure it's got FIA homologation to 2011 and you're not buying last year's stock (unless you get a 20% discount of course!). If you're not racing until next season, buy one next year so you get your full 5 years because they expire :-)

If you're circuit racing you need an FIA homologated belt which can have 3"/3" straps or 3"/2", but I don't know why anyone would take the narrower belt. There's not much extra cost, and it spreads the pressure of an accident over a wider area to protect my delicate tum more, but it's your choice. FIA belts have got the turnbuckle style clasp and take a bit of getting used to but are easy to use when you get the hang of them.

I'd never buy a 2nd hand one 'cos you don't know what's happened to it.

Hope that helps. Others here may have some first hand experience; I've only used 4 points in saloon cars.