View Single Post
Old 1 Mar 2009, 10:00 (Ref:2406497)   #22
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R59 View Post
That's one idea - and I do hope it comes off.

I hear also that the owner of the Croix circuit in France is entertaining the idea of building an oval - I guess something 1/2mile to 1km...

If only Silverstone had pursued the 1/2mile banked - a-la Bristol oval that some of it's member proposed as part of the re-development a few years back, the world might be a different place now.
Costs ... it's cheaper to leave the rallysprint there doing nothing than building an oval track. Maybe they could have built the oval in the stadium section of the circuit so the stands would get two lots of use, although I'm not pretending I've got an exact layout in mind.

Quote:
And one more if only - the Velodrome built for the Olympics were built as a 33degree banked concrete oval, 1000m long (5/8mile), with enough space infield for two pitlanes (front and back stretch).... if you see where I'm going with this.....
And had a decent capacity grandstand....
It could be used by the spandex trousered types, as well as petrolheads....(running on Bio-fuel of course - to keep the greenies placated)
250m is the standard length for velodromes these days, so the only stock car racing you'll fit on it is this, which actually could be a pretty interesting idea.