View Single Post
Old 18 Mar 2018, 16:31 (Ref:3808900)   #5524
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Of course engineering services are a product that can be bought and sold. But just because it's a product that can be bought, it doesn't mean it's the same as buying a finished product. The scale of the tasks we're describing can barely be compared to each other.

To answer your question - everything. Everything is different. From the very building you go to work in, to the product everybody uses at the circuit, and the methods you'll use to achieve the performance from the product. Quite literally, every single thing in the team will change. Everything. Except for the carpets - those might transfer over.

I'm not trying to be funny or overly literal. If you choose to look at it at the level of the carpets, and the space that you sit in, then sure everything is different. But you know that's not where I'm going with this as pointed to by everything I've said above.

For the company, or owner, it is the same as buying the finished product. For the owner, all he or she has done is contribute money to get an end result. So why should the owner somehow be perceived as more worthy of winning LM because they bought engineering services vs the final product.

That's what we are addressing. People are opposed to DPI because of the spec chassis that is purchased by the OEM. As opposed to when the OEM has simply done a no strings attached engineering services purchase (the FWD Nissan LMP1 is the least subtle of the examples). They are the same when it comes to the contribution of the manufacturer. No one was up in arms when Nissan had Ben Bowlby and Cosworth make an LMP1 car for them (other then the drive layout)