View Single Post
Old 27 Nov 2011, 18:36 (Ref:2992039)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I have heard all about not cutting and heating coils but its my experience it can be done successfully. I had no choice but to cut a coil off some race springs supplied incorrectly to me and was reluctant at first till I took my mates advice. I cut the coil off with an angle grinder then I had to heat the top coils to collapse them as per original and then grind the tang flat as it was like originally and let the spring cool naturally and not plunged in water. The mod was a 100% successful and has not sagged or broken and has transformed the handling. You can believe this or not but I have done it and it works perfectly. Personally I think the problems start when you dont finish the ends off correctly so they are cocked and not flat which is putting an uneven pressure on the first coil of the spring which could lead to failure also if you water cool the spring it doesnt help.