View Single Post
Old 9 Apr 2015, 23:12 (Ref:3525570)   #1277
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
After a weekend that had a V8 meeting and a Gp take place and I find myself in a position where the only motor sport vision I have seen is a couple of clips on news broadcasts I start to wonder if Motor racing risks sinking to Basketball, Netball or baseball as a mainstream sport.
It is very easy to see the short term financial gains by going with pay but I think that both Archer and CVC are adopting a policy of grabbing as much as they can with no thought for the longer term future of the sport.
As it stands if you are a motorsport fan and want to watch your sport live you have to have a family of football fanatics to go anywhere near justifying the cost.
The upshot is that we are increasingly pointing our youngsters away from motor sport towards football. Not good for the sport.
Perhaps it is the fact that I've been around a long time and can remember the days when motor racing was very much a minor niche interest, great fun for those involved but virtually unknown by the general public. No money, no sponsors and no coverage on TV or in the print media.
Are we fans of a dying sport? Less and less young faces in the crowd at race meetings. Are Archer and CVC the smart ones cashing in before the sport fades away? Or are they the ones hastening the end?
Over to you Pecky.
Feel your pain...but Speedweek on SBS often have grass roots stuff when not showing drag racing stuff...