Thread: Costs of Racing
View Single Post
Old 26 Dec 1999, 01:01 (Ref:2868)   #5
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Graham,

Greetings from someone in exactly the same boat as you. I've got Lister-Jaguar dreams and a Reliant Robin budget.

End of last year, December, I think, Classic & Sportscar magazine ran a feature on Doug Rhodes, who prepped a fabulous looking Ford Anglia for the Goodwood meeting on a tiny budget. True the car was not the fastest on the grid, nor the most reliable, but it gave him the experience of racing in one of the premier meetings on the calendar - against club drivers and ex F1 stars.

Since the article, though, a note of caution. Last summer the car was rolled to oblivion in a Silverstone gravel trap. It's a bit like the stock market. You put everything into your investment, and there's no guarantee you'll get anything out.

I tend to agree with Peter on the circuits. If the car you wind up with is street-legal or better still light enough to be legitimately trailered by a road car, there is no reason why travelling costs throughout the southern half of England should be bad.

I met a man last year who carries his Lotus Elan on a trailer behind a regular saloon. No idea of his job or budget, but he has a young family who come with him to meets, so it can't be costing a kings ransom.

In short, years of following club historics about from Oulton to Brands has assured me it can be done. Now it's just a question of choosing an affordable car that does it for me. At the moment, I'm starting to swing towards a HSCC spec 70s Roadsport. That's anything from VW/Porsche 914 and Porsche 911, through Lancia Fulvias and Betas, and I even saw a Lotus Eclat racing last year. Good series. Be interesting to see what you eventually go for.

How about a TVR 1600M for starters?