View Single Post
Old 19 Apr 2012, 16:06 (Ref:3062093)   #65
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFfan View Post
But it's about time that the sport became less money centric and stopped wasting talent. I wish I had all the answers but I don't. But I still think there are many things that could be done by Governing Bodies, Manufacturers, championship organisers etc to help improve the situation but sadly people in those positions are less than willing to help because lets face it there is nothing in it for them.Dominic Malvern
Dominic, you have mentioned probably what is the main crux of motor sport - it is not seen as a sport, but as a business. Whenever the motorsport gliterati talk of the importance of motor racing in the UK, they speak in terms of jobs, industry and money to the economy. You rarely hear of talent of up and coming drivers being mentioned.

Things like the RSF are excellent and have put drivers on the grid who would not be there without it. The McLaren Autosport is equally good, but the 'prize' does not enable a driver to progress on it's own.

We almost need something along the lines of how athletes are funded. UK Athletics realised that people trying to train and hold down a job delivered less chance for young prospects to progress, hence the selected top talents are funded to a bigger or lesser degree and I believe drop off the scheme if they don't meet the criteria down the line, but it gives them a chance. Of course athletes representing their country are more 'visible' than racing drivers- another part of the problem maybe.

To sum up - I think the purpose of junior formula has been lost in time - it was/is supposed to be a training and proving ground for drivers and engineers but increasingly is just another element of the industry that is feeding the upper levels with fully funded overseas drivers.