View Single Post
Old 29 Oct 2016, 12:05 (Ref:3683818)   #53
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Sorry, but current F1, and even with the next gen rules, will have engines with fuel flow restrictors on them. And without hybrids, they'd be stuck at making about 650-700bhp, because though they can rev to 15,000rpm, they can't get near that because of fuel flow limitations. Biggest reason why next year's F1 cars will be faster is better aero and more mechanical grip because of wider tires and going from being 1800mm wide to 2000mm wide.

Of course, I wish that the current LMP1s were still 2000mm wide and had 14+inch wide front and rear tires on them.

Fossil fuels might not be going anywhere soon, because of hybrids. No electric car, not even the upcoming Audi E-Tron SUV, has sufficient range on EV power alone for anything more than city driving, even with ERS systems. ICEs need hybrids to cut emissions and boost fuel economy. EVs need hybrids as range extenders. I don't see that changing in the mainstream for at least a decade, especially outside of city driving.
Knowing the current F1 teams run their cars at close to 1000bhp, this means they'll be coaxing over 800hp from their ICE's, since the hybrid systems they use only give them some 180hp. It's all about the bias of electric versus ICE. In F1 it's far more comparable with our current street hybrids: a bit of electric propulsion to get going(and save fuel) and the ICE for the horsepower and range. LMP1-H have way to much electric power for it to be comparable with any road hybrid. These systems have nothing to do with any road sportscar.
Shift this back to let's say 20% electric and 80% ICE and we're talking real world comparable race cars again.

As for this Formula-E: they're just a laughing matter. As long as they have to change cars mid race, I won't take them seriously and won't see them as any threat to ICE racers.