Thread: Lites / LMP3
View Single Post
Old 22 Mar 2017, 18:34 (Ref:3720716)   #1280
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Oi, another endless and pointless debate featuring our favorite canine.
Painful, eh?

Quote:
Look, P3 is what IMSA has chosen. Teams seem to like it, and fans seem to like them.
WRONG! They love them. All the teams I chatted with over the Sebring weekend are excited to get these cars because they know they can do special things.

Quote:
In old IMSA Lites, the Tpe 2 cars were never in the top five ... at Sebring the Elans ran close---and No Accidents because of it. So that is all BS.
Yeah, because.. things.

Quote:
The way I see it, DP02 is the entry-level semi-serious playground for the wealthy and first step for the up-and-coming. Cheap, spec, but enough power and downforce to be dangerous if a driver gets silly---which is important, because it weeds out the silly drivers (crash a few times, money goes away.) And still the cars are sturdy enough that no one gets hurt when they crash. All good.
It's served it purpose, much like the FLM09. Like the NFL, motorsport is a game of replacement. It's time to move forward.

Quote:
In the hands of a really skilled driver the Elans can (for now) keep up with the top ten P3s ... I expect that to change as teams learn their cars.
Totally agree. Two classes, and eventually as it becomes one, it'll be great racing. I bet it'll blow up like GT3 Cup did in it's second year.

Quote:
Thing is ... the new PC class is a Great Show. I am sorry, but I watched a lot of Lites and it just wan't inspiring. Maybe good for aficionados but nothing to excite the average fan.
Agree. I was actually excited to see them run. Hated the old cars, new cars look like a proper LMP, and that's a big deal for the casual observer.

Quote:
P3s are Hot. They are loud and they have Presence on track. They are compact and powerful (seemingly) and quick enough and loud enough that they Create excitement.
Yep.

Quote:
That is what the series needs. Classes which are exciting to watch. Sure, nobody is going to buy a race weekend ticket just because PC is running, but people will watch the races ... and like them, which creates an overall better race-weekend experience.
Wait, you mean support classes are enjoyable to watch?

Quote:
Nobody buys a St. Pete GP weekend ticket to see the Stadium Super Trucks, but everybody watches them, and everybody likes them. Same principle.
Don't be so sure about that. SST is pretty baller.

Quote:
My take is that IMSA wanted to do a couple things: first, get in deeper with FIA so they can leverage the relationship to get DPis to Le Mans some day, and second make PC into a real series. I am sorry, but Lites was sort of a club series. Spec cars, the slowest class powered by go-kart engines (well, motorcycle engines.)
It was a club series and one that couldn't be taken seriously. Hence the change.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with the class, and it did support itself as both a training class and as a playground for the unskilled but wealthy, but anyone looking to step up to a Real prototype sort of needed to go to an FLM09 ... a Lites Elan had half the power.
Yeah, but so does SRF/CSR/DSR etc... it worked, but, needed to see drastic changes.

Quote:
IMSA sees the need for a training series, wants the cash from the wealthy amateurs, and also needs to trim the fat. A pure P3 series might not be sufficiently subscribed, and that would mean adding a whole 'nother series to the schedule.
BUT IT'S NOT ENTRY LEVEL!!!! BLAAAAARGH!!! Or it totally is.

Quote:
Instead, by dropping Lites 2, and adding P3s, IMSA elevates the Lites series, creates both a playground and a training ground, and keeps the race weekend schedule at the same size.
And creates business opportunities for teams, sponsors, and the series. Crazy eh?

Quote:
All sounds pretty smart to me.
Nooooo.... how dare you suggest that IMSACAR did something smart in terms of business. Seems like they've really got something here.

Quote:
I have no doubt that CN is a wonderful series---it is certainly popular all over Europe. But that it Not the way IMSA went, and it never will be. IMSA wants to create the ladder from Elan to P3 to P2/DPi. It wants to support the P3 constructors because they also build all the P2/DPi chassis.
The DP02 dies at the end of the season. It's all P3 from 2018 onward.

Quote:
Let's give it a couple seasons ans see if it withers or grows, eh? I know some of us really like a fight, and will parse every post and attack every space and comma ... but that never seems to help anything, does it?
I did this just for you.

GT3 Cup had nobody in it's first year. PC, GTD, all the same... everything takes time. Millenials want instant gratification to point out success or failure because.. you know they have to be right on the internet for the points.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”