Thread: Lites / LMP3
View Single Post
Old 23 Mar 2017, 09:51 (Ref:3720854)   #1292
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzeiTzei View Post
I don't see any point in making LMP3 the star of Conti.
I can think of several good reasons -and I mean aside from the "mirror image of Weathertech" idea- but they're all a moot point. If IMSA at any point thought the idea had any merit that's what they would have done for the sake of the bigger spotlight. If my long-term concerns end up being justified IMSA's just going to pull the plug on the LMP3 experiment(and probably the entire series) and move on to something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
And we get another series that is now stronger than it was previously

I never watched Proto challenge and now I will
I fear you may be in a bit of a minority on that. I strongly doubt the LMP3s have the sort of audience appeal many have assumed. I always had a theory about the old PC cars being the sort of class the American race fan could get behind despite it's spec-ness, and while I stand by it's reasoning(you'll be hard-pressed to find an American race fan who didn't appreciate the sound of the PC cars' big 'Murican V8), it proved insufficient a draw. The only noteworthy thing P3 has that PC didn't is variety in the chassis department, and the Ligier dominance(which doesn't look likely to be broken by Norma or Ave-Riley) greatly limits that "benefit." Ligier's done such a good job that the class might as well be as spec as PC at this point.

Last edited by FormulaFox; 23 Mar 2017 at 09:58.