Thread: Lites / LMP3
View Single Post
Old 23 Mar 2017, 16:44 (Ref:3720933)   #1297
kevlow
Rookie

kevlow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was very pleased with the debut of P3 in the new PC series. I thought the mix with the Lites cars was good.

The only let down for me was the race length. The race was entirely too short. A minimum on two hours would be good for fans viewing and improve on the quality of racing and potentially the car count. There is not much chance at drivers bringing in sponsorship dollars from Corporations looking for advertising. With a short sprint race the entrant list may be limited to wealthy, older [and slower] gentlemen drivers who can race from their own pockets. The rest will come from come from young drivers from well funded families, regardless of their talent.

One of the things that makes the Conti Series so great is that the talent level is very high. The race is long enough that am drivers can fund a seat for a pro; or the team car bring in a sponsor and allow them to place a pro in the car. The series has a large enough following and sufficient air/media coverage that appeals to some corporate sponsors. All this makes for a high quality product that appeals to drivers/teams/fans/ and sponsors.

I would love to see the same for the Prototype Challenge Series. The cars were great. A couple of drivers were really good. They would need to attract young, funded drivers from the open wheel ladder to make it a good field. Otherwise they need to have additional stints for pro drivers. Also the following will be good for the races that are married up with the WeatherTech but I don't believe that they can sustain the following to interest of Corporate sponsors at the independent races.

As a race fan, I would love to see this as a three or four hour race.