View Single Post
Old 30 Aug 2017, 09:19 (Ref:3762875)   #23
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
It's always irked me slightly that the Galaxy gets all the credit for the '63 BSCC championship when it was the Cortina that won Jack the title, at least it scored the majority of the points. As we well know fact won't get in the way of a good story, especially with such a theatrical backdrop.
Yes, I think you're right. The championship was decided upon the best 8 results. Jack achieved the championship with three outright wins in the Galaxie, plus five class wins in a combination of Cortina GT & Lotus. He also took the point for fastest lap on all but one occasion, so ending up one point short of the maximum possible. He beat his old friend & rival Sir John Whitmore (Mini) by just two points.

I suppose it's the usual story in a class-based series that the overall winner is what most people notice & of course the Galaxie was not only winning in Jack's hands. There were also drivers of the calibre of Jim Clark, Graham Hill & Dan Gurney doing their bit.