View Single Post
Old 29 Nov 2010, 17:38 (Ref:2797263)   #58
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Nice sentiments, but where are the visible, positive results from them?

So far, we've gotten less attractive, inferior-sounding, harder to overtake in cars racing on less spectacular, harder to overtake on circuits by being "pragmatic".
The reason the cars are harder to overtake is because the teams agree on a set of rules and then their aero guys spend the whole team getting around them, and because the aero rules don't go far enough - they need to attack the whole problem in one go, not bit by bit

And as far as the attractiveness of the cars, I do think what the car looks like is important - in fact, I'd rather they prioritise aesthetics. The best option for cars that race well may be cars without wings, but F1 cars have to be slicks-and-wings racers - there's an image to uphold. So I'd rather see a compromise of attractive-looking (and sounding - which you'd get from turbocharged road car engines) cars that race well - may have said it before but something that looks like the GP3 car would be ideal for me, as that is just about perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Compromise means that, while you don't get all you want, you at least get something, but all we seem to be doing is losing everything we want the sport to be.
All well and good, but who's 'we'?

Ultimately, the people who really matter, who F1 depends on and without whom the sport would die, are the casual fans - the vast majority of the people that watch F1, but also the silent majority as they never feel strongly enough about F1 to register on a forum to express their views

I'm sure if you offered those a choice between "dumbed down" cars with good racing, and "pure" cars with poor racing, they'd take the former - the majority of people that watch F1 prioritise good racing over anything else. In fact, there are many who would rather the teams dump technology in favour of a sport where the driver has a much greater role

We, as the hardcore fans, don't matter. We'll watch whatever happens, and there aren't many of us. I'd rather they prioritised the show instead of the "purity" of the sport (although it lost its virginity many years ago so it's a moot point) for the sake of attracting more fans, because that will be the key to attracting investment and securing F1's future

Last edited by jab; 29 Nov 2010 at 17:45.