View Single Post
Old 29 Nov 2010, 23:57 (Ref:2797408)   #62
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
There's a need for it if it gives them an edge on the competition. Hey, the sponsors are willing to pay for it, and so long as that happens, the teams WILL FIND WAYS to sped that money in any and every area they are permitted to to get every ounce of speed possible.

Most of the driver stuff I see is about seats shifting as far as which driver is where. That doesn't equate to a huge personal interest, on the part of the fans, in a particular driver or drivers. It's just relaying the latest information on the lay of the land as far as who is driving for whom.

I don't get into tabloidal smut. I just don't care. It's the drivers' lives; it's their business, not mine.

Anyway, my two original favorite drivers have disappeared, and no one since has quite, fully taken their place. Dale Sr., well, no explanation needed there. And Al Unser Jr. just fell into relative obscurity before finally retiring.

The easiest element for me to identify and differentiate in racing is the cars; it's just that simple. Since I have quite poor eyesight, by "normal" standards, I simply can't identify individual people at all easily. I can't identify anybody, even people I know very well, from any "significant" distance. Therefore, I use the cars as identifiers, reference points, what-have-you, because that's all I have.

Just something that you and others clearly have, and take for granted, but that I don't really possess, and cannot take as a given.