View Single Post
Old 26 Sep 2002, 04:54 (Ref:388596)   #12
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gee, I'm glad to know there is a person here who knows how racing "actually" works. That's pretty damned arrogant.

That off my chest, I'd personally love to see CART and ALMS get together. Some of the most fun racing weekends I spent in my life were when the Champ Cars and the IMSA cars ran thier races together at Laguna Seca. The GTP's would come out and set a track record and then the Champ Cars would come out and break it and the same thing would happen again the next session. It was awesome. I also think it was good for both series. Losing the GTP's was a racing heartbreaker to me. I really loved those cars.

CART grew tremendously during those years and I can see great opportunity for the two series to hook up and make a go of it. What the fans want is to see great racing for the weekend. Having some diversity in the look of the cars makes things more interesting too. I think most people would be hard pressed to say that they would rather see a couple of classes of cars that look pretty much the same driving in circles for three days straight vs. a couple of classes of open wheelers and a couple of the sports car classes going at it for the weekend. The paddock is more interesting this way too.