View Single Post
Old 26 Sep 2002, 16:17 (Ref:388932)   #19
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, F1 is a show. But it isn't racing, any more than wrestling is a sport. That doesn't mean people can't enjoy it for what it is, and many people do.

HOWEVER, I don't. I want to see the Prodrive Ferrari drag racing the KnightHawk MG Lola down the Mulsanne Straight and be able to shout "HOW DID ENGE DO THAT?" without the sure and certain knowledge that Enge's contract specifies that he gets to outdrag 675 cars until he bursts into flames or they do. (And both are a pretty good bet, unfortunately.) I love to see Sascha Maasen and Timo Bernhard racing each other, though they are teammates, and not that Maasen's contract specifies that no matter how good Timo is on any given day, he cannot beat his teammate.

I like a good show now and then. But I like racing, real racing, more. And I don't think Bernie knows diddly squat about real, mano e mano racing, or fans either.

P.S. Have you read this week's Autosport and their concession that the only way to make the Americans attend the USGP is to make it more like, er, NASCAR, ALMS and CART?