View Single Post
Old 3 Mar 2013, 14:10 (Ref:3213710)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
I love the McLaren F1. Possibly the greatest automotive achievement of the modern age and the perfect antidote to the Veyron.
I find all modern supercars as inspiring as the Veyron. They just don't do it for me.

By freak chance, I have seen both the F1 and Veyron on public roads before. An F1 zipped past us on the motorway many years ago and I was trembling with excitement. I left the Royal Albert Hall after a concert a few years back and saw a Veyron waiting at the lights. I was so bored by the sight of it I didn't even mention it to the people I was with.

I find modern Ferrari's utterly boring as well, but the sight of an F40 makes me squeal like a baby.

I think supercars were only really a thrill late 70's to early 90's. They kept getting faster and more outrageous whilst still being slightly primitive in a sense and looked like they were penned by artists in many cases. Nowadays there is really nothing else to do but plonk the biggest engine you can in the most homogenised, styled-by-airflow bodywork possible and hope you get to the 250mph mark like everyone else. What's the point?

I am just old enough to remember the excitement when a car managed to comfortably exceed 200mph as well. 250 is kind of a boring target in comparison.