View Single Post
Old 19 Jun 2017, 09:50 (Ref:3745133)   #5575
roderick
Racer

Japan
roderick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridroderick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Why do we think that even against Peugeot, Toyota and even Porsche in '14 that Audi won LM so many times, and why did Porsche win the last couple of years? You build a car to be as bullet proof as possible, but you still need to plan on the unexpected, such as freak failures or accidents.

Audi had that quick change rear end on the R8, a gearbox that could be taken apart and rebuilt in reportedly as little as 5 minutes on the R10 and R15. Porsche have a (relatively) quick change MGU, and I think that Audi R18 type platypus nose helped in that regard, unlike Toyota's bullet/raven's beak/plague doctor's mask nose.

Granted, Toyota will probably have a great car for the remaining sprint races, but as has been mentioned, it seems like--maybe due to budget, maybe just simply due to design--they've at times sacrificed too much durability for the sake of performance.
I agree, in regards with being bullet proof to win Lemans. but given how they managed to get back in the race with that much damage at Silverstone does say this time was little unlucky...
I'm sure they had some sort of protection against puncture. I believe Nico pushed the car too much after the puncture...