View Single Post
Old 1 Jul 2016, 01:30 (Ref:3656038)   #64
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Gold Coast temporary? From what I can tell, during its run, 1991-2008, it's one of only four venues to host IndyCar/ChampCar races EVERY one of those years. The other three are Long Beach, Milwaukee, and Indianapolis.

As for "getting back to its roots", what exactly does that mean? It's kind of a pointless exercise if you can't even define what it is, because necessarily, you can't attain an indefinite goal. And just about everybody who remembers the "good old days", whenever that happened to be, has their own definition of what it means.

Also, until the 1984 CART season "international" included Canada and Mexico.

(Apart from living here, I just don't seem to have the circuitry in my brain that says my pursuits also have to be "American". It's an attitude I simply am unable to comprehend, and I fail to see value in it.)

Baltimore filled the Mid-Atlantic hole, at least to an extent. I'd be curious to see these cars at Rockingham (N.C.), assuming it's still there. It's less confined than Dover, and is in asphalt rather than concrete. So, it has a better surface and should have a wider racing line, but not so wide as to allow the madness we've seen at some of the 1.5-milers. And I do wonder if Richmond is going to be just a bit too tight with the pace of the current machinery.

The other oval with more than 14-degree banking that I'd consider is Michigan, naturally.

Apart from the flat, one-milers, the Series doesn't visit Pikes Peak, Gateway, or Nashville (assuming it's still around). Anyway, it gets a bit constricting when Charlotte, TMS, Atlanta, Kentucky, Chicagoland, Kansas, Las Vegas, Homestead, Dover, Bristol, Daytona, and Talladega are off the table from the get-go.
Point taken on Gold Coast.

Good old days? I don't know when that is other than NOT right now, but I never said anything about that.

Getting back to roots means keeping it about the fans and keeping it simple, something this series hasn't done well recently. Road America seemed like a move in the right direction.

And imo, American means North America.

The Rock was auctioned back in May or April. Nothing from a search on ownership but I don't think Indycars would go well there. I'd watch as I love the Rock, but tire wear would be an issue.

I enjoyed Richmond the last go round. Is it any tighter than Iowa?