View Single Post
Old 21 Jan 2018, 22:18 (Ref:3794176)   #50
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
All of that said, back in time when keys were used for so much that they wore down quite quickly is was said that there were only 10 different keys issued to the first generation of Transits. So you had a one in 10 chance (more or less) of getting into another transit is you had a key for one.

For what it is worth I saw this "feature" in action once and it worked very well.

In the 60s, my mechanic had a key ring resembling those big things that you see in old films about jails/prisons that held about 30 odd car keys, and they could open up virtually every car around.

They came in useful for Roger Taylor one Sunday when we were both racing at Snetterton. He had forgotten to bring the car key with him, and the team couldn't get into the car to get it off the trailer. It took less than a minute to find a suitable key from my mechanic's collection, and the door was open.

Worn down Ford keys in particular were the best, opening all sorts of makes.