View Single Post
Old 26 Nov 2003, 03:17 (Ref:794635)   #65
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
if the flap was opened by oil pressure, why wouldn't it open on a test bed (I'm not sure what you mean by a "gasflow rig") Do you mean that there had to be a good load on the engine before the flap was activated-and also, wouldn't an obvious flap be noticed-even if it was hidden inside somewhere -mind you, I guess that was the trick, to have the flap down somewhere where if not suspicions were raised, it would never get to that point of dismantling to see it.

This whole topic, as someone already stated, does touch on the whole grey area of coming up with something that is not in the rules-real sideways thinking, as opposed to good old cheating. If I were a competitor, I would be really ****ed off if I was working my ass off in braking late, and carrying as much speed as I could through the corners, and then still have some guy who's pants in the corners go bloomiing by on the straight. Sportmanship vs some interesting lateral thinking can be a sticky subject-makes for entertaining stories, but if you were a "straight" competitor, how would you feel about someone else cheating?

Also makes methink though of how in bicycle racing, the whole drug scandal thing touched on how some competitors got into it because they knew that many others were doing it and they knew they had no chance at all against the competition without it....sad isn't it?