View Single Post
Old 21 Jun 2017, 03:47 (Ref:3745660)   #188
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
The way that this years GTE race panned out, I wonder if the factory teams would benefit from a third or 4th car like Ford.

Porsche lost the 92 due to driver error.
Corvette lost the 64 due to loose wheel
Aston lost the 95 due to driver error
Ferrari lost the 82 and the 71 (or the 51) due to driver error.

Seems Porsche, Aston, Vette would benefit from a third car. When you enter the biggest race of the year, where the expressed goal is to win, doesn't it seem sensible to enter a 3rd car just for this race? To enter just two cars seems like you treat it like it's a regular season race, and have done nothing to increase your odds of winning the preferred race of the year.
It makes sense. The more cars you bring, the less the impact of each failure.

However, I think the two major barriers are budget and BoP. BoP is hit and miss. Doesn't matter how many cars you bring, if you're on the wrong side of BoP, you're not going to have a chance to win. And these GT teams most likely get smaller budgets. Fielding a third car involves having a spare race-ready chassis, extra parts for repairs, as well as three professionals drivers, and professional personnel. The logical thing to do is what Ferrari does in having two/three teams field their own cars.

Not to mention that GT cars are relatively durable. Did any GT cars retire due to mechanical failure? I don't remember any. Maybe the 64 but I don't remember the cause of how they lost the wheel.