View Single Post
Old 6 Jun 2007, 14:29 (Ref:1930325)   #1
KAM
Rookie

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
KAM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Career change into motorsport industry?

Rather than interupt the guys thread about wanting to join F1 I thought i'd start my own thread. After many years in a career in the print industry i realised that i just was not enjoying the work. I've been looking at going back and studying a degree again at 29. For a good few years I have enjoyed spannering on cars as a hobby but am looking into taking this further.
I have been in contact with the university of hertfordshire about studying their motorsport engineering course but reading some comments has left me a little worried that this is completely the wrong direction to take. I can't afford to take a mickey mouse degree as I am not in the position to be able to waste time and money.

I really am nervous as I do not totally know the job prospects in the industry and really would like some advice on the type of money that can be earned realistically. I do not expect to be out in some pit garage every weekend working on a million pound car with pit girls bobbing up and down at the entrance (though that would obviously be nice lol). Just working cars i have a passion for will float my boat. I know i'd have to work my arse off to get anywhere but the dream of a hands on job that I actually have a passion for at least forces me to look seriously at this change of career.

Can anyone pass on some nuggets of wisdom?