View Single Post
Old 7 Jun 2007, 15:33 (Ref:1931326)   #10
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
are not the BEST engineers un afraid to get in and fix, build or what ever it takes getting their hands and clothing greasy, to get the job done right and on time.
yes, your quite correct, but thats not the way its done nowdays, thats a mechanics job........I understand what your trying to say, to become a good design engineer you must have an understanding of a mechanics job.......or in otherwords, you must have been a mechanic at one point or another......

fortunatley, I have built/spannered several race cars, both at a club and professional level........and to fund my way through university, I worked part time in a machine shop on lathes, mills, surface grinders etc, and was also a maintenance mechanic at a local factory.......

all too often its the minority that get the majority a bad name........if one graduete is seen as a slacker/pleb......it doesnt do the other graduates any favours........this is the whole idea of formula student, to work as teams, roll your sleeves up and get some practical experience before you even think about wanting to be a design engineer.

as a parting note I will tell you all this.......an engineering degree is a passport into almost any well paid engineering job, its almost an industry standard qualification......... to become a credible engineer, you must have a degree, take a look at the recruiting requirements on any job-site if you dont believe me.