View Single Post
Old 14 Dec 2007, 21:53 (Ref:2089073)   #15
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hodgkinson
We need some examples here. So, let's list some pretty sucessful racing drivers/riders who are from the same gene pool:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Schumacher - Ralf Schumacher (well, he isn't a Rosset is he?!)

Graham Hill - Damon Hill

Manuel Fangio - Manuel Fangio III (nephew of the great man, won LOTS of stuff stateside)

Guy Edwards - Sean Edwards

Graziano Rossi - Valentino Rossi

Ron Haslam - Leon Haslam (plus all of Ron's brothers)

Marc Gene - Jordi Gene

Jack Brabham - David, Gary & Geoff Brabham

--------------------------------------------------------------

Now, some drivers who in no way could match their relations talent...

**enter here**
Just want to give my own opinions on your examples. Go easy on me, it's only 'IMO...'

In fairness, Ralf is no Michael and would he have got there if he was called anything other than Ralf Schumacher?

Graham and Damon - G was way better than D surely?

Fangio 1 & 2 - no comparison. 2 was a good IMSA driver at best in the best car at the time

The Edwards and Gene's - none of them were world beaters to begin with

The Rossi's - Agreed (see? I am fair!!)

Not sure if Leon is as good as Ron. Leon will have to go to MotoGP and see how it goes from there. Ron didn't win in bike GP but had a really strong year in 87 ish when on a proper Honda. Jury out on Leo but there is still time.

Brabhams - again, no comparision IMO. Geoff dominated IMSA for a couple of seasons, again in the best car. Gary won the F3 season in possibly a year bereft of great talent? David - a good sportscar driver. Jack - 3 times F1 world champion...

Agreed Ralf is no Rosset but he's no Michael Schumacher either is he? He is no better though than any other J.O urneyman who has been and gone. This is the point I'm trying to get at.