View Single Post
Old 23 Jun 2006, 09:15 (Ref:1639612)   #37
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hi Alex, Knowing so much about the marque in question would I be right in assuming your second name is Elliott?...

Power output brings me back to John's question about the Vitesse output.

The standard road car had 190 bhp (although there were rumours that it was actually well over the 200 mark!) and the Grp A version put out about 290 to begin with and by the end iof TWR's ETC days it was somewhere between 320-350 bhp I think?

So as you say John, the road going Bimmer was plenty powerful enough and the M version would likely have been mighty powerful in race trim. By law of deductions we must assume that if it was homologated it could've been 350 or even upto 400 horses may have been possible?!!

I guess the advantage the Rover had in sprint trim was engine torque as BHP was roughly similar?

Stone Man you sound like quite an interesting and important person of the era, more of your stories most welcome. Both ian and yourself have confirmed the ex BSA/Cheylesmore car.

You guys may help on another front. BSA was the F2 team run by Bob Sparshott and Mike Young IIRC. Now was Mike the same guy that pedalled Angleboxes so well in the 60's? You also mention a guy who supplied a cage for the 635 from the Evesham area called Nick Grace?

Well I was in Pershore a while back on business and ended up speaking to a guy who fixes classic motorbikes, somehow we got onto the subject of touring cars (possibly because Dynamics are on the same ind est). It transpired that he used to be a major part of several touring car outfits from the 60's-80's and we were talking about Yogi Muir who I think had a go in this car and the likes of Andy Rouse etc... He mentioned a 'works' BMW/team was based with him or he had something to do with years back and I wonder if Nick, the BS 635 and Pershore/Evesham are all linked?

Folks this is turning into a fabulous thread, long may it continue

Last edited by chunterer; 23 Jun 2006 at 09:18.