View Single Post
Old 23 Feb 2017, 13:08 (Ref:3714259)   #29
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I don't see the actual laptops being that much of a problem - surely they can run the old software on new laptops in a VM? (we run a version of DOS on a VM for one legacy system for example). Getting the software off the older laptops would be a one-off pain in the arse but after you've done it then you've got it in a usable form for the future.

Again any specific hardware relating to the setup (as per the McLaren example above) surely is beyond the wit of man to resolve either? Again - it's a pain in the arse to do but if were to rebuild it you could make it wireless, use bluetooth or whatever. This is the sort of thing that you throw out to the internet and say "make this work" and someone will come back with a solution. Geeks love a challenge.
I think it's not so much the old OS and software that as you say can be run in a VM, but associated legacy hardware connectors/adapters that either are not supported on modern hardware, or for whatever reason, don't work correctly when used via adapters (I.e. USB to whatever). For the McLaren F1 road car, it is a specific bespoke CA card that is the problem. Outside of Motorsports the problem is hardware dongles (usually as part of a copy protection scheme) that don't play nice with virtual adapters.

But you are right, it is all solvable if someone has the time and money.

Richard