View Single Post
Old 21 Jul 2011, 21:17 (Ref:2929593)   #336
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
I have read on the forum regarding various suggestions as to how events can be better promoted but in my neck of the woods thing like school visits, radio station interviews, displays in malls, street parades etc have all been part of the scene since the early 1980's.

What has to be remembers is that NZ has a population smaller than Sydney and seven permanent race circuits and that the media is like a horse in that you can lead one to water but you cannot make it drink
Hi Southern Man

I'm pleased to hear that some of these things have been happening in your neck of the woods, assuming that is down Southland way?

I think you get pretty good turnout down there to these events, probably quite a lot of it is due to that sort of publicity plus also due to being a smaller place it's easier to get word around, so that's good.

The challenge is Auckland, really, where there is a lot happening in a lot of places a lot of the time, but only limited media to cover it all, which is why the shopping malls and schools thing should have a good impact because there's not much hope of getting the TV news to talk about it (although TV3 are actually pretty good). It sort of needs to become viral, we need to get kids off their Playstations and down to the racing dragging their parents with them. Murph's presence in the ST's will help immensely too.

But hey, we got 110,000 to Pukekohe for the last V8 Supercars there, which was pretty much twice as many as that circuit could handle comfortably!

I will be visiting the Speedshow this weekend, I shall ask some questions of both camps regarding the upcoming legal action and their respective points of view. I won't be able to post it here though sadly.