View Single Post
Old 21 Dec 2016, 23:08 (Ref:3697731)   #75
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I held spanners once or twice for Shorty (can't say I did much, other than get in the way) when he ran in the BRDC Metro Turbo series. He ran as a sort of team mate to Peter Baldwin.

The arch rivals were Enterprise Racing at the time.

IIRC the one year when the series ran as a European Championship - Peter Baldwin won it.

Thinking of other names from the day... Martin Perrett (?) comes to mind. I may be wrong, bit I think he was sponsored by Bridon Ropes though Might have been Nigel Edwards. I'll have to think hard about more of them... Oh yes, Paul Taft!!

As has been mentioned, cars were built from bare shells - which at the time cost about £400 from RoverSport. Silly cheap! Everything was subsidised by Rover.
There were lots of tips and tweaks, some very very close to the wind. Quite a few would be regularly on the wrong side of the series scrutineer affectionately known as "Mr Milk Carton".

It was very very serious stuff though, plenty of prize money on offer, then the main protagonists moving to the Rover 216GTi series when that started and took the prestige with it.