View Single Post
Old 9 Jul 2018, 09:16 (Ref:3835633)   #2173
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
10-10ths member? A gent naturally!

It will be interesting to see his response soon.
The only place I've seen these drive shafts is on a March 741 F1 race car.

This means Rare/ Expensive/ Unobtainium/ re-design to a normal design.

CV's might last for another decade, but I don't fancy chancing them too much longer.
March went racing to make money so won't have thrown money away, the 741/751/761 used as many bits (uprights, hubs, axles etc) as possible from the production F2 & F3 cars.

My 741 project had uprights marked 741, whereas the 761 had something like 752 rear uprights (the fronts were 75R - aluminium Formula Renault ones because Frank Williams wanted it as cheap as possible!).
But the only difference with the 741 upright was the lugs for the lower links, where they just tweaked the patterns to suit the wider wheels.

The CV joint will be from a road car, possibly with some material machined away to save weight.

As has been said Simon Hadfield will know what the bits are (as will other people who have ran F1 Marches), or there are several people in the UK who supply parts for the F2 cars - if your 741 parts are different/hard to find you could switch to F2 parts.

Andy Gilberg (Marchives) in the USA has all the drawings and they probably show what the joint's origin is.