Thread: FIA GT GT4 - The future...?
View Single Post
Old 14 Jul 2010, 20:25 (Ref:2726768)   #17
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob View Post
Sounds like classic Ratel - nice idea, but with ridiculously poor execution!
Sounds about right, I will say the whole premise is a great idea. Look at the longevity of the Continental Tire Cup. In one form or another as I have mentioned, its been constantly well received by car owners and teams without much media coverage actually.

IMSA Firehawk was covered on Cable TV by Diamond P Sports which became TNN Sports later and now is Spike TV. About that time Speedvision stepped in and sponsored the series. Later Firestone (Bridgestone) did not renew its contract and brought in Toyo to supply tires to the series and funding.

Its still on Speed TV today so that would mean the series has been around since the mid 80's with the same basic rule package and spec tire supplier.

I would say GT4 alone its more expensive as well to a point. The Aston Martin Vantage N24 or whatever its called now is actually cheaper than Ford's Mustang Boss 302R! Both cars run around $100K US. Not sure how much RJN is charging to convert a 370Z into a GT4 spec racers.

Seems to me GT4 to work needs -

Constant and Consistent TV Coverage. Why its not on Motors TV, I don't quite understand. I believe Motors is following the Speedvision model so maybe they need to call it "The Motors TV GT4 Cup" presented by say Kumho Tires? Dunlop Tires? I dunno.

But the series needs to offset the cost of racing by putting in fixed cost for tires, maybe fuel as well.

If it can work in the States it can work in Europe and maybe to bolster car count add a Touring Class. Average entry for the Conti Challenge Cup is 50+ cars. This weekend at New Jersey the entry is 54 cars.

Races run about 200 miles or so, timed events 2 hours and 30 mins.

This is a proven, successful model, maybe SRO should adopt this?