View Single Post
Old 31 Oct 2016, 17:27 (Ref:3684331)   #73
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Gravel for genuinely out of control cars but a bollard with designated escape road determining whether

Quick sketch ... Bollard on the point of the Red lines, Yellow approx gravel location.
Attachment 48571
Straight on to the left of the bollard and you have to use the escape road,
Straight on to the right, then either slow down and drive around the gravel or try and get through it.

Because I'm in a mean mood, added penalty between the white lines of the escape road pit limiter must be employed regardless of whether you join it at the white line or cross some grass first and then join it.
I am generally very much in agreement on this type of strategy. For areas that have a large risk for short cut or running wide, create a specific path for re-entry that punishes the driver timewise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel82 View Post
I don't like the idea of having bollards at a point where someone going 370kph could have a brake failure.

but why not have some sort of penalty markings? like some diagonal red stripes a meter from the track edge, clearly indicating "you can't go there". if you so much as touch them, you get a penalty. no discussion.
So clearly any physical item that blocks a specific path should be designed to not cause any type of safety concerns. In the example above, they are not shown in the area where brake failure would take anyone. And while material was not discussed, they seem to occasionally use something like styrofoam placards for this. They are more of a visual reminder than anything meant to stop a car. Off hand, I can't remember where but this has already been done at a few races.

To the entire Hamilton/first turn issue. As I watched the race my wife (not particularly a racing fan) was casually watching and said... "Isn't that cheating?". My initial answer was "They tend to close their eyes to offenses at the first turn that doesn't result in collisions". I think there is plenty of cases in which someone "accidently" runs wide, but at the same time that accident prevents someone else from any type of over take movement. So if you don't want to risk being overtaken, just brake so late as to make it impossible and then run wide and say... "oops, my bad", rejoin the track in the lead and nobody says anything. Can anyone remember a time when anyone has been punished for such a thing (first turn, first lap, circuit shortcut, no collision)? I can't. But i think the solution is to make it self punishing via the predetermined (and slower) re-entry paths. I expect everyone will start magically respecting realistic braking points.

Richard